Phocuswright Innovation Platform events showcase the most innovative companies in travel across the globe. At The Phocuswright Conference, which took place November 19-21 in Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood, FL, a total of 37 companies (24 at Summit and 13 at Launch) demonstrated groundbreaking applications and solutions poised to change the travel landscape, competing under the bright lights of Center Stage for the most coveted innovation awards in travel.
The companies who presented at Summit and Launch represent the cream of the crop from a large pool of applicants, and Summit showcased the winners of Phocuswright's 2019 regional events: Battleground: EMEA and Battleground: The Americas.
ABOUT THE WINNERS
- TroopTravel, which uses big data to help corporations plan meetings and events, won the Award For Travel Innovation – Emerging Category.
- Airalo, which enables travelers to use local phone plans by downloading eSIM packages instead of purchasing local SIM cards, won the Award For Travel Innovation – Startup Category.
- 30SecondsToFly, which provides artificial intelligence solutions to large TMC's, won The General Catalyst Award For Travel Innovation.
- Exosonic, which is building a supersonic jet with a muted sonic boom that can fly over land, won the OAG Award for Innovation.
- Beachy, which provides digital operations and food & beverage systems to beachfront properties, won the Summit People's Choice Award.
- Kiwi.com, which is building a virtual, global supercarrier, and Magicstay, which provides curated apartment rentals for business travel, tied for the Launch People's Choice Award.
Summit winners were chosen by a panel of Dragons comprised of travel and technology experts. The General Catalyst Award for Travel Innovation – which comes with a $100,000 Simple Agreement for Future Equity (SAFE) – was determined by the Dragons and Phocuswright with an increased emphasis on whether the company's innovation has the potential to create breakthrough value in the travel industry. OAG selected the winner for their Award for Innovation. Phocuswright Conference attendees voted to determine the People's Choice Awards for both Summit and Launch.
"We created the Phocuswright Innovation Platform to identify and recognize the entrepreneurs and ideas that are shaping the future of the travel industry," said Michael Coletta, Phocuswright's manager, research and innovation. "This year, we were delighted to highlight innovators building strong businesses across air, hotel, corporate, chat and voice, in-destination, and software as a service.
Over 475 innovators have now taken the stages at Phocuswright's innovation events since the first Travel Innovation Summit in 2008. This esteemed group of companies has brought countless innovations to the market. Collectively, they have raised over US$3.9B, and 79 have been acquired.
2019 Phocuswright Innovation Platform Winners
AWARD FOR TRAVEL INNOVATION – EMERGING CATEGORY
AWARD FOR TRAVEL INNOVATION – STARTUP CATEGORY
THE GENERAL CATALYST AWARD FOR TRAVEL INNOVATION
OAG AWARD FOR INNOVATION
PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD – SUMMIT
PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD – LAUNCH
Winner: Kiwi.com AND Magicstay
Learn more about the winners and all the innovators here.